In the year 1114, four years before the Hospitallers had broadened their capacity to
incorporate military obligations, a Burgundian knight, Hugh de Payen, and eight confidants bound themselves by pledge to monitor general society streets about Jerusalem, which were persistently menaced by Moslems and freebooters. Ruler Baldwin II. allocated these great men quarters on the sanctuary site of Mount Moriah, whence their title, "Pauperes Commilitones Christi Templique Salomonici." At first the Templars appear to have gloried in their destitution, as shown by the first seal of the request, which speaks to two knights mounted on a solitary steed. Their individuals expanded until they imparted to the Hospitallers the brilliance of being the central guards of the new kingdom of Jerusalem.
Hugh de Payen was sent by Baldwin II. as one of his ministers to secure assistance from European forces. Th Grand Master, showing up before the Council of Noyes, January, 1128, acquired for his request the formal endorsement of the congregation. He came back to Palestine with three hundred knights, speaking to the noblest groups of Europe. Among them was Foulque of Anjou, a short time later the King of Jerusalem. Fellowships of Templars were established in Spain by 1129, in France by 1131, and in Rome by 1 38. The mantle of the Knight Templar was white with a plain red cross on the left bosom. The administrative individuals wore dark. Their flag bore the engraving, " Not unto us, O Lord, but unto Thy name be glory !" .
The history of the Hospitallers and the Templars until the fall of the sacred city is that of the kingdom itself. In all battles these knights of the white and the red cross were conspicuous for bravery, and by the unity and discipline of their organizations gave steadiness to the progress of the cause, or at least retarded other disasters which finally befell it.